Yesterday morning, I was eating breakfast made of local eggs, local pork belly and salad greens. I posted my breakfast on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook but then, it occurred to me that many people do not know the value of a local breakfast. What is so special about the breakfast I posted?
Let me explain! The salad was a simple boxed salad bought from a store because my garden is not ready for harvesting but none the less it provided a little nutrition (not as much as local but greens are always great to eat).
The eggs were from a local hen owner that feeds her chickens non-gmo, soy-free food in addition to the food they find themselves while roaming around. To learn more the importance of buying local eggs check out Backyard Eggs vs Store Bought Eggs.
The pork is the important message for today. Why would I eat pork belly instead of bacon for breakfast? Why would I go out of my way to buy from a local farmer instead of going to the grocery store that is about 3 blocks from my home?
- Bacon comes from pork belly, which means pork belly is less processed the bacon.
- Bacon has added nitrites and nitrates. Pork belly does not. Nitrites and nitrates are known to be health hazards.
- Bacon has added sugar. With people consuming more sugar now than ever before (130lbs according to Forbes) I figure we can always use less added sugar.
- Pork comes from pigs. Pig factories are AWFUL!! Many small farms care for their herds with compasion and humanity.
- I’m cheap and frugal. If I’m going to spend money on something it needs to provide me with something positive in return. Local Pork belly provides me nutrition and taste like store bought pork cannot.
The next time you buy pork please think about where it came from, how it was treated and what you can do to get it from a local source.
Need help finding a local pork farm near you? Contact me and I will be happy to help you find one.